With video resolution moving past 12K, the need for larger and faster media cards to do the heavy lifting of writing the data and transferring it for editing is more important than ever.
Angelbird’s 4TB AV Pro MK2 CFexpress 2.0 Type B Memory Card is not only massive but thanks to the high speed PCI-Express 3.0 bus architecture, it can transfer data at up to nearly 1795 mb/s.
Maximum speeds aren’t the same as sustained speeds, mind you. Odds are, the shorter the take, the smaller the file size, yielding a faster read time. But according to Angelfire, the sustained read time remains the same, making it one of the fastest CFe cards on the market.
As for writing speeds, the card is capable of writing a 12K Raw file at 1300 MB/S, which is over 1 ¼ GB of data every single second. That’s a lot of data for the media card to scribble down every second while the camera is running.
The card also looks to have its own Y2 processor designed right into the card, which monitors thermal and power management to not only keep the card cool but also to better manage your camera’s battery life and improve run time.
Other features of the Angelbird AV Pro Mk. 2 include:
- CFexpress 2.0 Type B
- Guaranteed sustained write speeds of 1300 MB/s for raw 12K+ productions
- Y2 processor delivers exceptional processing power for raw video and photo production
- Stable Stream technology supports uninterrupted read and write performance for smooth, drop-free results throughout the entire capacity of the card
- Rock-solid build engineered with protection against shock, vibration, overheating, and temperature extremes from 14 to 158°F.
- Advanced Thermal Management helps protect the card against overheating
- Adaptive Power Management helps improve the run time of your camera’s battery
- Host Power Loss Protection signals a safe shutdown to protect content in the event of a sudden power loss
- Hardware and software data recovery service covers media that has encountered physical damage and/or software issues, such as data or file corruption
Pricing and availability:
The Angelbird 4TB AV Pro MK2 CFexpress 2.0 Type B Memory Card is available now in 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB configurations, with an MSRP of $379, $959, and $1799 respectively.
It’s also important to note that according to the Angelbird website, as of February 9, 2022, only the 2 TB CFexpress card model is officially approved by RED and compatible with the RED V-RAPTOR camera. Other camera compatibility data can be found on Angelbird’s camera compatibility page.