Moment already has a great reputation when it comes to lenses for mobile phones, high-quality filters and other handy accessories for filmmakers. Now they seem to want to go even further with the introduction of the Moment 1.33x anamorphic adapter. The accompanying Kickstarter campaign just launched, so let’s take a look (in 2.35:1 of course)!
Shooting anamorphic can be quite daunting, and although major Hollywood films swear by this particular widescreen look, it can get pretty expensive and cumbersome pretty quickly to achieve it properly, especially for independent filmmakers.
Moment is a company that makes it possible for these filmmakers to take beautiful images with affordable equipment. So they thought a well-designed anamorphic adapter might be something worth trying. And apparently, they did it, check out the Kickstarter campaign here.
Moment 1.33x anamorphic adapter
So what’s different with this device? According to Moment, the benefits are threefold:
- A Classic Look – The Moment anamorphic adapter uses a classic design form with achromatic cylinders arranged in a front attachment, which will give a classic look. But the exciting part of this design is that you can attach it to a sharp modern lens to add a vintage character or, turn a well-loved vintage lens into a widescreen one.
- Easier To Use – The front adapter does not require fiddly focus or clamp rings to attach it to your prime lens. The lens attaches via a 67mmm thread, and a locking button allows users to quickly orient the lens properly. Moment eliminated the search for special step-up rings and they even include an entire set of rings with the adapter.
- Super Compatible – The Anamorphic covers S35+ format with most modern mirrorless lenses but can cover Full Frame (FF35) for a wide variety of compact/pancake lenses as well as many compact vintage lenses
The locking button in particular seems to be a well-thought-out detail, as it helps to align the lens correctly without having to fiddle too much with the step-up/down rings. This helps to build a rugged and well-performing setup.
Moment lists all the specifications as follows:
- Lens Type: Front Anamorphic Lens Adapter
- Construction: 6E / 4G
- Squeeze Ratio: 1.33x
- Focus: Front Single Focus
- F-Number (max): 2.0
- Close Focus: 0.7m
- Focus Rotation: 180 deg
- Rear Prime (S35): 35mm-100mm+
- Rear Prime (Full Frame): 50mm-100mm+
- Prime Lens Focus: Infinity
- Front Filter Size: 82 mm
- Rear Aperture: 44mm
- Coatings: Gold Flare
- Rear Mount: M67 x 0.75 thread (step up/down rings included)
- Product Length: 77.6mm – 92mm (Without lens cap)
- Weight: 880g
Of course, you’ll need to properly support your lens with the anamorphic adapter attached to protect your cameras’ lens mount, but since this setup seems relatively straightforward, the new Moment 1.33x anamorphic adapters could really allow filmmakers to capture beautiful anamorphic shots without the hassle (or expense) of other solutions, or even native anamorphic glass.
The adapter sells for $1,299 MSRP once the Kickstarter campaign is over. Early bird pricing starts at $899 so if you’re fast and already decided, this could be quite a good deal here.
What do you think? Would this ‘gadget’ be something you would try? Share your experiences in the comments below!