LOS ANGELES, CA – July 13, 2022 – Through extensive feedback from industry professionals, Sony Electronics Inc. is pleased to announce a new software update (Version 2.00) for the FX3[i].
This new software introduces professional cinema line features into the camera, including additional Log shooting modes, user LUT (Lookup Table) importing, timecode sync with dedicated adaptor cable[ii], and advanced functionality that is consistent with the Cinema Line Camera workflow and enables ultimate creative freedom.
FX3’s new Log shooting modes with LUT monitoring create a smoother post-production workflow by enabling Cine El, Cine El Quick, and Flexible ISO modes for recording with the S-Log3 gamma curve. Flexible ISO is a quick and easy mode that allows users to change the ISO to make exposure adjustments. Cine EI and Cine EI Quick are modes that use the camera’s base ISO of 800/12800. Both Cine EI and Cine EI Quick modes produce footage that can be adjusted in post-production to balance highlights and shadows while taking advantage of the wide latitude of S-Log3. All three modes allow video shooting while monitoring with an appropriate LUT to preview the final image.
Additionally, this update includes preset LUTs, like Sony’s s709 and maintains popular picture profiles such as S-Cinetone. For additional creative freedom, users can import their own LUTs. These imported LUTs can be used to not only preview a final image but can also be included into the footage when registered as a picture profile.
This latest software also features additional updates for advanced usability, including:
• New list-style main menu screen which provides quick access to frequently used items
• Instant Function (Fn) menu display by swiping up on the screen
• New standby movie screen provides an unobstructed view of the subject
• Timecode sync and input with a dedicated adaptor cable
• AF (autofocus) assist function to smoothly switch between auto and manual focus
• FX3 now includes added functionality to assist with the creative workflow, such as post-production editing using embedded LUT and EI (exposure) metadata. In addition, two types of shot marks have been added, allowing users to mark specific takes or scenes.
This metadata is available using the latest version of Sony’s Catalyst Prepare[iii] or Catalyst Browse applications. A new “Catalyst Prepare Plugin” for Adobe Premiere Pro is scheduled to be released in August.
[i] The latest version 2022.1 of the Sony’s Catalyst Prepare* or Catalyst Browse applications is required. (*Software download page URL) https://www.sony.net/disoft/
[ii] Time code sync will need an exclusive adaptor cable, VMC-BNCM1. For further information, visit support page: Support for ILME-FX3 | Sony USA
[iii] Software download page URL: https://www.sony.net/disoft/